Self-Care While You Wait for An Appointment
Congratulations on taking an important step towards your wellbeing! Counseling Services is responsible for providing services to the entire campus community. For this reason, it is sometimes necessary to wait for your appointment. We continue to do everything we can to make the wait as short as possible.
While you wait for your appointment, there are many options you can try to alleviate some of the distress you may be experiencing. Please consider the following options:
- Peer Health Educators at PULSE are available to listen and provide support regarding Mental Wellbeing (REAL), Alcohol & Drug Education (TLC), Nutrition (HEAT) and Sexual Wellbeing (EROS) (first floor of the Health Center; pulse.calpoly.edu)
- Make an appointment for the massage chair (first floor of the Health Center; pulse.calpoly.edu)
- Attend a Mindful Mondays session (Mondays at 4pm; Counseling Services)
- Talk to supportive friends or family members.
- Establish/Maintain regular sleep habits (e.g., consistent bedtime; 7-9 hours of rest each night)
- Eat nutritious food regularly (this helps maintain positive mood)
- Do some kind of physical activity you enjoy (e.g., taking a long walk, playing a sport)
- Avoid use of substances as a way to self-medicate
- Find healthy activities that are relaxing or soothing for you (e.g., listen to music, meditate, color)