If You Are Having Thoughts of Suicide
PLEASE contact someone who can help NOW. Students often face challenges and stress that can, over time, begin to feel overwhelming or impossible to cope with. We want you to know that there are resources available to help you cope.
DURING BUSINESS HOURS
- Come in to Counseling Services and tell the front desk that you are currently in crisis
- Call 911 (any Police Department that responds can help you, including University Police)
AFTER HOURS SUPPORT: AVAILABLE 24 HOURS A DAY 7 DAYS PER WEEK
- Call Cal Poly Counseling Services at 805.756.2511 and select option 2 (which will automatically forward you to the 24/7 Cal Poly after-hours crisis line that is staffed by live, licensed counselors)
- Call the local crisis hotline, SLO Hotline: 800.783.0607 (Hablamos Espanol)
- Text START to 741741 for Crisis Text Line (no charge for AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, or Verizon plans). Available 24/7 in the U.S. (Note: This may not work on a pre-paid phone or any plan that does not allow "shortcodes"). See www.crisistextline.org for more information.
- Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800.273.TALK (8255) (Services are available in many different languages)
- Hablar con alguien en espanol: 877.SUICIDA (877.784.2432)
- Call the Trevor Lifeline: 866.488.7386 (for LGBTQ young adults)
- Call the Trans Lifeline: 877.565.8860
- Call the Nurse Response Line: 888.439.2012
If you or someone you know is an imminent danger to themselves or someone else, go to the nearest ER or call 911. For a general non-emergency where police assistance might still be needed, call University Police Department by dialing 911 or (805) 756-2281 (on campus).
This app provides information, tools, and resources to help a friend (or yourself) who may be experiencing suicidal thoughts. The app contains information such as warning signs, Dos and Don’ts, and what to do to get help.
This app helps you create a plan of safety around your suicidal thoughts and allows you to be able to quickly contact three people you trust during times when you feel concerned for your safety.
Suicide Prevention Resource Center website: www.sprc.org
Local Hospital Emergency Rooms - Open 24/7
French Hospital Emergency Services
1911 Johnson Ave
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Sierra Vista Regional Medical Center
1010 Murray Ave
San Luis Obispo, CA 93405
San Luis Obispo Community Mental Health Services
2178 Johnson Ave
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital
Center for Psychiatry and Behavioral Health
400 W. Pueblo Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93105