Phone: (805) 756-1211
Fax:     (805) 756-5298

8 am - 4:30 pm | M, Tu, Th, Fri
9 am - 4:30 pm | Wed

Make an Appointment
Building 27

Required Immunizations

Students Admitted for Fall 2019

The following immunization requirements apply to students admitted for Fall 2019

All entering CSU students (except those graduating from a California public high school) are required to present proof of immunization against MMR and Hepatitis B to the CSU campus they are attending before the beginning of their first term of enrollment. If proof cannot be presented at that time, please refer to the Alternatives section below. It is also recommended that students complete the medical questionnaires located on the Health and Counseling Portal which can be accessed by logging into your Cal Poly Portal and selecting the “Health and Counseling Portal” icon.



  • Measles and Rubella: Students must submit proof of immunization against measles and rubella within one year of the time of first enrollment. The MMR immunization series consists of two shots, separated by at least 28 days. Students will not be allowed to register for a second year until they have fulfilled this requirement.
  • Hepatitis B: Students who are 18 years of age or younger at the start of their first term at a CSU campus must provide proof of full immunity against Hepatitis B prior to their second quarter. Full immunization against Hepatitis B consists of three timed doses of vaccine over a minimum 4- to 6-month period. Students will not be allowed to register for a second quarter until they have presented proof to Health Services that they have received at least one shot, and must complete the series prior to the second year of enrollment.
  • Meningococcal Disease: All incoming freshmen who will be residing in on-campus housing will be required to complete the Meningococcal Disease Response Form indicating that they have received information about Meningococcal disease and the availability of the vaccine to prevent contracting the disease and indicating whether they have chosen to receive the vaccination. This form is part of the University Housing application.


Compliance with the requirements can be met in the following ways:

1. Submit Documentation

Fax or mail a copy of any one of the following documents:

  • School Immunization Record
  • County Health Department Immunization Record (well-baby booklet)
  • International Health & Immunization Record (used by military & foreign travelers)
  • Family physician's record
  • Verified record of blood test showing immunity

     Campus Health & Wellbeing - Health Services
     California Polytechnic State University
     1 Grand Avenue
     San Luis Obispo, CA 93407-0210
     or send via FAX: (805) 756-5298


Download the Hepatitis B and Measles/Rubella Immunization Form and mail or fax to:

     Campus Health & Wellbeing - Health Services
     California Polytechnic State University
     1 Grand Avenue
     San Luis Obispo, CA 93407-0210
     or send via FAX: (805) 756-5298

2. Be immunized

For those who do not have documentation, immunizations can be obtained at:

  • A private health care provider
  • A local clinic or County Public Health Department
  • The Cal Poly Campus Health and Wellbeing (health center) once an individual is an enrolled student

3. Have a blood test

A rubella/rubeola titer and/or Hepatitis B surface antibody test will determine if an individual is immune either by past immunization or by having had the diseases. If the titer/antibody test is negative, please call the Student Health Center at 805-756-1211.

4. Request a waiver or exemption

  • Medical: If medical circumstances contraindicate immunization, an individual may be granted an exemption. Please submit a doctor's certification.
  • Religious: State law permits exemption from immunization for those who object to immunization on religious or personal grounds. Please note: revised EO 803 (academic year 2020/21) allows for medical exemptions only
  • Distance Learning: Students enrolled in a “Distance Learning” program only.
  • Waivers for exemption: Please call 805-756-1211 to request an e-waiver or come to the Student Health Center.


In the event of an outbreak of these diseases, students who signed a waiver may be temporarily excluded from class, residence halls or campus.

For more information, call Health Services at 805.756.1211 or email us at

Students Admitted for Fall 2020 and After

The following immunization requirements apply to students

admitted for Fall 2020 and future years

The California State University (CSU) is committed to the protection of health and wellness of all students. To comply with this overarching goal, the CSU requires that students are current for the immunizations listed below.

Cal Poly students are REQUIRED to obtain the following vaccines and undergo screening/risk assessment

for Tuberculosis:

Required Immunizations & Screenings

Required Dosage & Screening Information

Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR)

Two (2) doses with first dose on or after 1st birthday;

OR positive titer (laboratory evidence of immunity to disease)

Varicella (Chickenpox)

Two (2) doses with first dose on or after 1st birthday; OR positive titer. History of contracting the disease

does not meet compliance.

Tetanus, Diphtheria and Pertussis (Tdap)

One (1) dose after age 7

Meningococcal conjugate (Serogroups A, C, Y, & W-


One (1) dose between the age 16 and age 21

Meningococcal B (Meningitis B)

Students age 16 – 23 after discussion with their healthcare provider.

Hepatitis B (Hep B)

Students age 18 and younger ( CA Health & Safety

Code, Sec. 120390.5)

Screening/Risk Assessment: Tuberculosis (TB)

All incoming students must complete a Tuberculosis risk questionnaire. Incoming students who are at higher risk* for TB infection, as indicated by answering “yes” to any of the screening questions, should undergo either skin of blood testing for TB infection within 1 year of CSU entry.

*Higher risk include travel to or living in South &Central America, Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, and the Middle East; prior positive TB test; or exposure to someone with active TB disease.


Cal Poly students are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to obtain the following immunizations (please discuss with

your provider):

Recommended Immunizations

Recommended Groups

Hepatitis A (Hep A)

All students regardless of age

Hepatitis B (Hep B)

Students age 19 and older

Human papillomavirus (HPV)

For women and men through age 26

Influenza (Flu)

Annually; All students regardless of age


Meningococcal conjugate (Serogroups A, C, Y, & W-


Students between the age of 21 and up to age 23.


For students with certain medical conditions (e.g.,

severe asthma, diabetes, chronic liver or kidney disease)

Poliovirus (Polio)

Regardless of age, if the series was not completed as a


Immunizations for international travel

Based on destination



Related Content